Friday, October 26, 2007

Ho Jos

[click image to enlarge] I saw this logo in a doorway of a building on the corner of Beale St. and Newport Ave. in the Wollaston section of this city. It once housed the accounting division of one of America's first franchises: Howard Johnsons.

The marker for the site of Howard D. Johnson's first store (a drugstore), is located across the street beside the parking lot of the Wollaston train station.

Howard Johnson lived close by on Summit Ave and had the Mayor of Boston to thank for inadvertently boosting the success of his first restaurant in Quincy.

Does anyone remember the orange rooftops on the restaurants and 28 flavors of ice cream?
These marketing ideas helped make this one of America's popular icons and destination.

3 comments:

NorthBayPhoto said...

Great shot and information. I was not aware that HoJos started in Quincy. I remember seeing the bright orange roofs on many a trip but I haven't seen too many Howard Johnsons lately.

• Eliane • said...

Ooops, I thought it was a motel chain... which gives you an idea of how many times I have patronized them. Maybe we don't have them here?

jenne said...

i am an old school Hojo's fan :) i live down the road from there and have yet to go look for it. i found out about Hojo's starting in WOllaston while reading the Wiki page on my new town. so cool!

Summer Attraction

This tiger swallowtail butterfly was a delight to see pollinating the phlox bed along my driveway.