This is the original library building of the Thomas Crane Public Library in Quincy Center; it was designed by noted architect Henry Hobson Richardson. Richardson is also well known for having designed Trinity Church in Copley Square.
The library was dedicated on May 30, 1882, with the principal oration delivered by Charles Francis Adams, Jr., chairman of the Board of Trustees. The money for the library was donated by Albert Crane in his father's memory. The Crane family wanted to name the library something like the Quincy Free Library, but Adams insisted it be named after Thomas Crane, and Charles Francis Adams, Jr. always got his way, at least in Quincy.
Today, this building houses the library's Reference Dept.