Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"Granite City"

[click image to enlarge]

Quincy's granite industry was famous the world over. Over the next few days I will give you a glimpse into this fascinating industry that helped build this historic city.

I can think of no better place to begin then at the Stonecutter's Memorial Statue in West Quincy. It was the artistry and craftsmanship of those early stonecutters with their chisels and hammers in hand who made the term "Quincy Granite" synonymous with superior quality. The inscription at the base of the statue erected in 1994, reads: "In Grateful Memory of Quincy's Granite Workers Whose Talents And Dedication Have Been Recognized Throughout The World."

1 comment:

• Eliane • said...

I know, I am reading backwards and discovering the theme only now. Great series.

Summer Attraction

This tiger swallowtail butterfly was a delight to see pollinating the phlox bed along my driveway.