Thursday, October 18, 2007

A. C. Smith & Co

[click image to enlarge] Adjacent to the Wollaston Fire Station is this handsome brick gas station built in 1926 for $16,000. The architects, Batty & Gallagher, designed what would become a ubiquitous cultural landmark . . . the gas station . . . who knew then? I like the pineapple finials at the corners and tomorrow we'll take a closer look at some of the other exterior features. This is one of the few remaining period gas stations in Quincy. Do you have any interesting ones in your neighborhood?

1 comment:

• Eliane • said...

I want that red gazpump! Would be perfect art installation in my loft - you know, the one I'll have in Tribeca when I'll be rich and famous.
And I learn a new word (finial) - yeah!!! :)

Summer Attraction

This tiger swallowtail butterfly was a delight to see pollinating the phlox bed along my driveway.