[click image to enlarge]
When the Woodward School opened its doors in 1894, educating women was a relatively new concept, still not widely held as essential. Dr. Ebenezer Woodward, however, did not accept this approach and established a new school for girls that would be a companion to the Adams Academy for Boys founded by the former President of the United States, John Adams, who was both his patient and his relative. The Woodward School has always resided in the same Hancock Street location in what is now an historic building, the only school built in the Queen Anne style. The School opened its doors on April 10, 1894, with seven teachers and seventy-six students, and has operated without interruption through the present day. It now has an enrollment of 160 girls in grades 6-12.