Sunday, April 06, 2008

Sunday is for church

[click image to enlarge]

After the Greek Revival period, Quincy followed the national trend of building a majority of its churches in the Gothic Revival mode. The early structures (1840-1870) were built in wood while those of the late 19th century and 20th century were usually constructed in stone. St. John the Baptist Church on School Street, is the second Catholic Church built in Quincy in 1853, to help serve the many Catholics working the the local quarries. The original structure was enlarged in 1873 and can hold 1099 additional parishioners besides the one you see here. I like the symmetry and vertical lines of this picturesque church, and what about those blue doors . . .

11 comments:

Fritzthecat said...

What a lovely photo - the light colored church in front of this marvelous blue sky. It's ice cold here, snow and grey sky ...
You have some really remarkable photos and I'm wondering if you might like to add them to the trivago web page of Quincy. trivago is an international community of inspired travelers for travelers.

Small City Scenes said...

Lovely church. I have a blog I call holy houses and was wondering if I could use your photo for that blog? Answer here I will come back to see. my blog is www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
thanks, MB

Anonymous said...

Intense. Your photograph is so nice.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio now playing the part of Mrs. Zac Efron's employee.

The Lone Beader® said...

This does not look like Quincy to me at all! LOL.

slim said...

small city scenes- It would be my pleasure to share today's Quincy DP post with you for your holy houses blog. You;ve started a very interesting collection there.

marley said...

Wow! The white Church looks so striking against the bright blue sky. Great photo.

Southern Heart said...

Very pretty...I would love to see a detailed view of those doors.

George Townboy said...

Gorgeous church and a great photo of it!

Carlos Lorenzo said...

Great light and architecture. The man makes composition really interesting.

• Eliane • said...

And it does look so crips against that blue-blue sky! Pretty!

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

This is a beautiful photo of Quincy's St. John the Baptist. My family worshipped at this church for many decades.

With your permission, I'd like to share your photo on my blog A Light That Shines Again. I will link back to Quincy Daily Photo, of course.

Thanks for this great series of photos!

Summer Attraction

This tiger swallowtail butterfly was a delight to see pollinating the phlox bed along my driveway.