[click image to enlarge]
Erected in 1924, this is considered one of Quincy's most outstanding public buildings, The Quincy State Armory, located at 1000 Hancock Street. Boston architects McLaughlin & Burr were the designers of the Armory. The Armory is constructed of finely textured granite, called aplite and known in the trade as Weymouth Seam-Face Granite. This deposit, near the Quincy granite quarries is the only one of its kind within the country and has a range of coloring so great as to include all shades of yellow, green, brown, red, grey and blue.
Many fine young men and women are based out of this Armory for various "Guard" and military duties including calls to serve in Iraq. We owe them and their families a debt of gratitude for making the supreme sacrifice to serve their state and country.