[click image to enlarge]
This doorway belongs to one of Quincy's first schools, the Coddington School, designed by Charles Brigham in 1908. The Coddington School and Coddington Street are named in honor of William Coddington, Quincy's earliest benefactor. Coddington was a treasurer of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and a magistrate and also had the distinction of building Quincy's first brick house. This entryway served Quincy College students until construction began on the new Quincy High School this year; it now serves as the entryway to the west campus of the High School. Brick and granite make for longlasting, handsome public buildings.