Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Granite Ruins

[click image to enlarge]

Quincy has its own ruins documented here. This is the site of the Lyon's Turning Mill, the largest granite turning mill in America, founded in 1894, where monolithic columns (one piece of rock) were turned for many famous buildings including the Custom Houses in Boston. I like the column remnant in the foreground.

There is a preservation move to turn the remnants of this into a museum about the granite industry in Quincy. Click here for more information about the museum effort. These ruins are fenced in on the edge of the Blue Hills and Granite Links Golf Course and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

6 comments:

Laughing Boy said...

Lovely photo. I'm absolutely in love with ruins.

brattcat said...

I thought I caught graffiti scribbled across the header of the ruins but it was the name of the mill and the date. Wonderful shot.

Regina said...

Nice shot really!

b.c. said...

I love ruins too, this is so beautiful

The Lone Beader® said...

That is really interesting. I never knew about the ruins! (Hey I have only lived here for a few years... ) I might have to go exploring!

Anonymous said...

nice picture. oh what a place it is.

john

Free Satellite TV

Summer Attraction

This tiger swallowtail butterfly was a delight to see pollinating the phlox bed along my driveway.