Sunday, May 23, 2010

If Only Money Would Grow On Trees



Quincy's beautiful library needs some money to grow on this tree to make up for a 10% budget loss this year to be followed by a proposed 9% budget reduction for next year. Hours have already been reduced and many people may lose their jobs unless changes are made to the budget.

I just don't understand why libraries get cut in tough times when more people make use of it for not just a good read but for internet access, entertainment, work, job search, research and special programming.

7 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

I don't understand this either. It really makes me sad!

Dream It Up Cookies said...

The school's got hit pretty hard in quincy for next year too. I read that around 200 city employees will be laid off. It's all so sad, and so many people are already out of work from last year.

RNSANE said...

It's tragic everywhere. I lost my nursing job of 21 years 15 months ago with the San Francisco Dept of Public Health - as did two of the other nurses provided 24/7 services to victims of rape and child sexual abuse, leaving only one at our agency and decimating services.

brattcat said...

Could you hear that large sigh? These cuts are so short-sighted.

Prettypics123 said...

Thanks for sharing your images. I love photography! Please come see my pics at http://levonnesprettypics.blogspot.com/ Congrats on being a blog of note last year.

Attie's Mom said...

The Quincy library is AMAZING. The number of services they provide is great. We moved from the area last summer and I can say that I was SPOILED by Quincy. Library services in our new area (which is a highly educated area) don't compare at all to Quincy Public Library. I am so sorry to hear about the cuts. (Maybe have a fundraiser to stay open that extra day? That is what the local library did in our new area. It was a BBQ and they sold tickets)

Prettypics123 said...

There is a Quincy Douglas library in Tucson, Arizona. It is a great little community library that is integral to the development of kids in the area.

Summer Attraction

This tiger swallowtail butterfly was a delight to see pollinating the phlox bed along my driveway.